MERFIP was founded on March 14, 1997 primarily by representatives of eight districts in the Edmonton area but has since expanded to include 1 more district:
- Black Gold Regional Division
- Edmonton Catholic Schools
- Edmonton Public Schools
- Elk Island Catholic Schools
- Elk Island Public Schools
- Greater St. Albert Catholic Regional Division
- Parkland School Division No. 70
- St. Albert Public Schools
- St. Thomas Aquinas Roman Catholic Schools
Originally, MERFIP received funding from Alberta Education/Alberta Learning. Since the restructuring of funds, MERFIP also receives funding from the Conseil français of the Alberta Teachers’ Association.
- Serve as a support group for French Immersion program coordinators of member districts.
- Collaborate in sharing expertise.
- Provide professional development activities to staffs of member districts to respond to emerging needs.
- Procurement and development of resources to respond to local needs.