You will be learning and telling us about a flower through the eyes of the flower. Each day your diary entry will focus on one element of your life. Your diary entries will be written in the first person point of view.
Before you begin...Read some books to familiarize yourself with the first person point of view.
These are the books that we used as inspiration for this project! Diary of a Worm, Diary of a Fly, Diary of Spider by Doreen Cronin (Author).
**Note: These books (Diary of a Fly, Diary of a Worm, Diary of a Spider) can be found on the
BookFLIX Website Click on the Animals and Nature category. (Learn Alberta Online Reference Centre)
In order to understand a flower's life you will need to do some research and gather facts about a flower. You can use a concept map such as Lucidchart or Google Drawings to help you. See the subtopics below:
- What are the parts of a plant? why do plants have these parts?
- Identify the life stages of a plant
- How do seeds get from place to place?
- Description of an annual flower that grows in Alberta
- Growing a healthy plant; What are the plant's requirements for growth (sunlight, soil conditions, water, nutrients, air temperature etc.)
These Resources should help you with your research:
|Parts of a Flower (review)||The Basics of Plant Growth||Flower Pollinators|
|Helping Plants Grow Well (BBC)||Parts of a Flower||Pollinators|
|Reproductive Organs(Flowers)||Life Cycles (BBC)||Flowers are Vital, (Video, Pollination)|
Now you should be ready to write your diary entries. A template has been set up especially for you!
-- Captures the voice of a Flower
-- Writes persuasively --
-- Uses examples, details, and images to support a position
-- Employs precise nouns and verbs
-- Writes with a minimum of grammatical & spelling errors
4) All 3) Most 2) Some 1) Little, if any