Genius Engineering Company Students will choose from a variety of companies that have secured contracts for Genius Engineering to design equipment to meet their specific needs. All projects involve light and the use of optical devices.
Resources and Activities
- PowerKnowledge: All about light PowerKnowledge has 11 sections on light. Videos, web links, games, listen feature, and a list of science experiments are included.
- Operation Light & Shadow- Wonderville (not for Chromebooks) Operation Light & Shadow is a new digital, multi-level, puzzle game based on the principles of, you guessed it, light and shadow.
- Light and Shadows
- Energy from the Sun: Designing a Solar Cooker
- Create a Kaleidoscope National Geographic for kids. Mylar paper works well.
- Reading Between the Lines Using this interactive resource from The Learning Federation, students can explore three of the more common types of vision problems: myopia (short-sightedness), hyperopia (far-sightedness), and presbyopia. The resource allows students to compare effects of corrective lenses on reading at different distances. Students view a cross-section of the eye that illustrates focal variations causing each vision problem. Glossary terms, background information, and challenges to test and extend the student’s knowledge are also included.
- Far Out Lenses (Using this interactive resource from The Learning Federation, students can simulate building a telescope using two convex lenses to look at the moon. Students first choose the focal length of the two lenses: the eyepiece lens and the objective lens. They can then move the objective lens to focus the telescope. The resource allows students to determine which lens pair produces the greatest and least magnification. Background information and glossary terms are also included.
- Seeing Colours This resource explains how we see colour. Watch both videos and click next to complete an activity.
Light and Shadows (BBC Interactive)
How We See Things (BBC Interactive)